Dental Bonding: A Cost-Efficient Way To A Better Smile
Anyone would want to have a beautiful smile, however, not everyone has a perfect set of teeth. That’s why cosmetic dentistry offers various methods such as dental bonding to fix dental issues affecting the tooth’s aesthetics.
While there are several options available, however, teeth bonding is one of the inexpensive cosmetic treatments in dental clinics today. Aside from its cost, the treatment is less-invasive and without much preparation may be done in a single appointment. Considering this, the procedure is beneficial for patients who need quick and affordable teeth fix.
What is dental bonding?
Bonding is a process of applying a composite resin material to the tooth’s surface to improve the patient’s smile appearance. In the same manner, the tooth’s structure is restored and protected from further damage. The dentist usually performs the procedure in one visit, and it takes about 30 minutes to bond each tooth. It may require another visit when there are more teeth to be restored through composite bonding.
Patients don’t have to worry about it being a painful procedure. Dentists will administer local anesthesia to patients with dental cavity issues.
The average composite bonding cost is at $300 CAD per tooth. In most cases, insurance providers cover at least half of the dental bill. Other providers shoulder a larger chunk of the bill, however, the coverage is forfeited when the procedure is solely for cosmetic purposes.
What dental issues are fixed through dental bonding?
- Gappy teeth or diastema. There are cases when patients have small-sized teeth as compared to their jawbone, hence, there are spaces in between. It could also be due to an overgrowth of tissues surrounding the gum line and the two upper middle incisors.
- Discoloured tooth. Some patients who develop deep tooth discoloration may choose to have dental bonding. This is an alternative when laser teeth whitening could not solve the issue.
- Exposed tooth root as a result of gum recession. A cosmetic bonding material is a great option to cover an exposed root due to receding gums. When the roots remain exposed, the patient will experience tooth sensitivity to different temperatures and even to sweet food.
- Repair chipped, broken, or fractured tooth. Any damaged tooth needs to be treated as soon as possible to relieve the patient from pain. Furthermore, it restores the tooth structure and prevents further dental damage. In these cases, most of the dental bonding cost would be covered by dental insurance.
What is the dental bonding procedure?
- Initially, the dentist chooses the appropriate shade for the composite resin fillings using a shade guide. It should closely match the sheen of the natural teeth.
- Next, he roughens the tooth’s surface and applies a conditioning liquid so the material adheres to the tooth.
- Then, he applies the dental bonding material to the tooth. He moulds the composite material to mimic the tooth’s shape and runs a curing light to harden the resin material.
- Finally, he trims and polishes the bonded material for a natural finish. He hardens the material one more time with ultraviolet light to strengthen the teeth bonding process.
After the cosmetic teeth surgery, you need to be aware of how to take care of your new smile. Especially if you’ve just received treatment, be careful not to stain or chip the filling. Actually, tooth fillings easily discolour since the material is below the standards. So, if you have a filling, limit your tea or coffee time to avoid unfair teeth shade. Hard and crunchy foods might also break your filling, so it’s better to change your diet this time.
Always practice optimal oral hygiene to care for your teeth. Brush and floss your filled tooth the same way you regularly clean your smile. Just be a little bit gentler to avoid chips and breaks that might cause more damage. Caring for your bonded teeth this way guarantees that it will last longer and you will not need frequent follow-up repairs. Regular tooth bonding may last up to 5 years and the tooth-coloured ones could last to 8 years.
Don’t let the teeth bonding cost get in the way of enhancing your smile. See your dentist in Aurora today and ask about teeth bonding for an improved smile.